It is a given that every mother to be will gain some amount of weight during pregnancy. While there will be the need to eat for two people, most mothers tend to overeat and end up gaining quite a lot of excess weight during pregnancy.
I have always believed in a healthy lifestyle and have always kept my weight levels in check. I am quite proud to be a mother of two, while still keeping my weight under control during pregnancy. This is all thanks to a few simple lifestyle measures, some amount of will and determination and the support of my loving and caring partner.
While it is definitely possible to lose extra weight post pregnancy, the task becomes so much easier if one is able to keep weight levels in control during pregnancy. Being a fitness freak, I reached pregnancy at a healthy weight, managed my weight levels during pregnancy and soon shed off all the extra pounds I had gained during the period.
I have compiled a list of several tips that I followed during pregnancy to keep my weight in check. However, I did so only after consultation with my physician and I always included my friends, family and my partner in my discussions. Before you embark on your wonderful journey to childbirth, make sure that you have the complete support of your family and friends in order to keep your weight levels in check.
While there are numerous ways that you can keep your weight in check, I have personally tried these following methods and gained only 25 pounds during my pregnancy. Post-delivery, it took me slightly under 6 months to return to my previous weight. While I am no expert, I did follow these tips after consultation with my physician and today, I am glad to have done so.
Here are some simple tips that I followed, which can also help you control weight during pregnancy:
- Make sure to eat as often as possible, in moderate quantities
- Avoid artificially sweetened, junk and oily foods
- If possible, get pregnant at healthy weight levels
- Drink lots of fluids
- Reach out for fibrous foods and complex carbohydrates
- Include healthy meats, fresh fruits and vegetables and fat free dairy products in your diet
- Ensure to include folic acid and iron supplements in your diet
- Exercise before and during your pregnancy
- Indulge in cravings wisely
- Make sure to get proper amount of rest
- Include your partner and other family members in your battle to control pregnancy weight gain
Pregnancy is one of those periods in life, where everyone will ask you to gain weight. However, if you do not keep a tab on your habits, you may end up reaching an unacceptable weight level. It is quite easy to keep weight levels in check during pregnancy – all you need is a little discipline and effort.